7 Reasons to Start StreetSalsa
Posted by Jake on 13th September 2014
Interested in learning to dance, but scared to make the leap into taking your first class? Don’t worry, that’s a perfectly normal feeling. I still remember the nerves I felt turning up to my first class. I seem to remember it took me a few attempts to get through the door!
But I promise you this – learning to dance is one of the rare things in life that is great fun, good for you, inexpensive and has no downside.
If you don’t believe me, here are seven reasons why you need to conquer your hesitation right now, and make the step of attending your first class:
- Learning to dance is fun – first and foremost learning to dance is fun, we’re certainly not the serious types! It might be nerve wracking at first, but once you get over the initial fear of the unknown you’ll realise it’s actually a great laugh. And everyone feels the same before their first class, just check out these stories of people’s first class if you don’t believe me!
- It’s a great way to meet new people – many new people join StreetSalsa because their friends are settling down and there’s no one to go out with on a weekend. Or they don’t connect with the people they work with. Or sometimes, they’ve recently moved to Leeds. StreetSalsa is a great way to make a load of new friends who share a common interest. We organise regular social events too, and they’re just as popular as the dance events!
- You’ll get fit without the pain – no more sweating away in the gym, strapped to a cycle machine or running around your local park. You’ll be getting fit and not even knowing that you’re doing it. Who says you can’t have fun and get fit at the same time?
- Everyone has two left feet when they start! – don’t worry if you’ve never danced step, you’ll be amazed how quickly you will feel confident and within a few weeks you’ll be itching to dance. It can be tough at first, but very soon you’ll never need Dutch courage to dance in a club again.
- The cure for boredom exists – if you’re bored at work or at home, learning to dance is a great way to try something new and exciting. Give yourself a lift and those Monday mornings will be that bit easier to handle.
- Build your confidence – we’ve seen so many of our dancers lives transformed because of the confidence that they’ve gained. For some it’s a body transformation, others meet that special someone and yet more gain a new lease on life from the friends they meet.
- We’re a really friendly bunch – don’t worry about attending the first event on your own, plenty of people do because it can be hard to persuade your friends to come to a dance class! But we’re a friendly community and we’ll make you feel right at home. And no one will judge you based on your abilities – we all have to start somewhere.
If you’re interested in starting StreetSalsa, simply find a beginners event and then turn up – there’s no need to book in advance or bring anything special. Otherwise, if you have any questions simply signup for a free account on the site and post a comment below.
We welcome new beginners each and every week, so you won’t be alone. You don’t need a partner, or any special clothes – just wear what you’re comfortable in. If you’re still unsure what to wear there’s a whole thread about it here.
Remember everyone has two left feet when they start – that’s kind of the point! Go on, find an event today:
Find a Beginner StreetSalsa Event
Any questions about starting your first class? What might be stopping you from getting involved?
Nearly a decade ago, I resolved to run a salsa night the way I thought it should be run and the idea for StreetSalsa was born. The rest as they say is history..
I've made some of the best friends you could wish for through dancing, and want to share what a life-changing experience dance can be.